This Old House. . .

As 2011 draws to an end, I can’t help but reflect upon the many projects hubby and I have undertaken this year.  I may be the driving (crazy)force, but hubby has done most of the work,  However, I am a great ‘cheerleader’.  Go Baby, Go Baby, Go! (Picture me jumping, shaking pom-poms, and ending in splits.) I know, scary picture!

I couldn’t let the year end without one last project.

I have been wanting some architectural pieces to hang on a 20 ft. wall in our family room for quite some time.

When we first moved in I hung this large PEACE sign that I had bought on clearance from Pottery Barn.  When it arrived it was just a rolled up canvas.  I had it framed and my original thought was to hang it just at Christmas time.

IMG_4741

After Christmas two years ago I decided to leave it hanging.  I think we could use a little ‘PEACE’ all year long, don’t you?

A few months ago I found a couple of old windows at the ‘Star Mill’.

I debated about painting them a color to stand out on the wall, but decided that I liked the chippy old paint.  I had paint mixed to match, painted the edges, then glazed them with brown glaze.

The small window was missing all of the glass so I left it empty added a hinge and wire for hanging bits of décor.

IMG_4827

The large window was missing 4 panes.  We broke one more out and added colored glass.  My friend, Joyce had done this to a large long window she had and I have always loved it.

IMG_4828

I wanted the glass to look kind of unplanned. If that makes any sense, so I randomly picked color placement.

I’m sure that the windows came from the same old house.  Would love to have seen it in it’s grandeur. There was probably a second small one on the other side.  Some people have said, “too bad the ‘Star Mill’ didn’t have both small windows”.  Actually, I think it would be too matchy matchy.  I’m keeping my eyes out for something fun to hang on the right side.

I bought two chippy half pillars thinking they might work.  We held them up yesterday but didn’t like the result.  Oh don’t worry, they won’t go to waste.

IMG_4827

Here’s a picture showing more of the room.  There’s another T.V. again messing things up. lol!

IMG_4829

I wasn’t doing too much jumping and cheering when hubby and friend, Kyle were hanging the large window.  I kind of wanted to cover my eyes till it was all over.  Hubby isn’t getting any younger you know.  Luckily, no catastrophes.

I love my new ‘old’ windows and want to say thanks to the ‘Old House’ that let me bring them from their home to mine! Maybe they didn’t have a choice, but thanks just the same.

Looking forward to finding more treasures in 2012!

Until then,

Wishing you any way you say it,

IMG_4742

And a ‘Happy New Year”!

Jann

I will be linking with:

Bunny for Bunny Hop Wednesday

Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday

Jenny Matlock for The New Year

Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

Honey at 2805 for Potpourri Friday

Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

 

31 comments

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Great old windows! love the random colored glass.

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,
Oh, those are some beauties!! Love the one with the different glass. Your Peace sign is just so beautiful... Your wall is looking amazing!
Have a very Happy New Year to you and yours!
All the Best,
Christine

Unknown said...

It looks very eclectic and fabulous, love the feel:-)

Vicki/Jake said...

Isn't it fun to find old stuff? You did good Jann:) Have a safe and Happy New One creating more fun stuff to share with us...

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love your peace sign but your windows are awesome! Wishing you a great New Year! hugs, Linda

Pat said...

Like the clean and uncluttered arrangement you have created...

Happy New Year!

Joanne said...

I love the colored glass! Makes a great addition to your room.
Blessings, Joanne

Kris said...

Nice!!!!

Cathy said...

RAH! RAH! that's me cheering for a great job. Keep up the cheering.

Hope your New Year as many more great projects.

Cathy's Cupboard Calamity

Diane Writes said...

Hi Jann! I wish you more of these beautiful projects for 2012. I look forward in reading more of your posts next year. By the way, if it is not too much to ask, please drop by my blog
http://dianewantstowrite.blogspot.com/2011/12/its-giveaway-time.html

and see if you will be interested in joining my giveaway. :)

All the best for 2012!

Unknown said...

What a great way to reuse a window! I love that some of the glass is missing.

Happy New Year!

★Carol★ said...

I LOVE old windows! Yours look fantastic up on the wall, and I especially like the one with the colored glass. I'm the cheerleader here too, sometimes scaring my husband with my crazy ideas. He hates change, but always carries out my ideas and ends up liking them too!
Wishing you health, happiness and prosperity in 2012!

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Hi! Jann, your projects turned out nicely. The window with the colored glass is very pretty. We have a very tall wall and never what to put on it so you gave me an idea with the sign. I look forward to many more ideas and projects in the new year . ---------- Shannon

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful! I like your decorating style.

Unknown said...

Very inventive idea, the frames! Yes, and wishing you a happy New Year:)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Happy New Year to you too, Jann! Your home looks lovely!

Naperville Now said...

Happy Peaceful New Year to you. Love the poster and windows.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Peace all year sounds great, I think your wall is taller than my house is long. That is a tough wall to decorate, I think it looks great!!

Carol

Pondside said...

I love the arrangement you've made with these pieces. You have great helpers - but you're the brains behind the operation!

Old Time Cindy said...

Wow...that is one big wall to decorate. It's lookin' good!

anitamombanita said...

Love the sign and the old windows. How fun! Happy New Year!

Marilyn said...

Jann, I LOVE this post..Thanks for always sharing so much inspiration.Stopping in to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for being a lovely bloggy friend this year. I look forward to SO much more in the new year with you.. Cheers to success, love, health and Wishing you the HAPPIEST OF NEW YEAR'S.. xoxoxox..~M

Kathy said...

I love architectural pieces! These are marvelous! My husband does a lot of work on this old house of ours too - he was out digging in a trench my son started yesterday - we need to replace all plumbing lines - water problems have been our issue from the beginning!
But, love the house and all the blessings!
I hope you have a Delightsome New Year,
Kathy

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Beautiful arrangement! Have a great New Year!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love your new old windows too. Old architectural pieces like this have so much character that you just can't find every day. Great job on the trio.
Happy New Year!

Shannon said...

I love your arrangement...the windows are great!! Happy New Year!

Lori said...

Love your old windows! They look fabulous. Our house is over 100 years old, so maybe they came from a similar old house. Happy New Year!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

The old windows are really special. Love the colored glass!

Honey at 2805 said...

Terrific project!

Thank you for for sharing at Potpourri Friday. I wish you a healthy, prosperous and sparkling New Year!

The Charm of Home said...

Very nice! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Kristopher Diss said...

Redecorating the house for 2012 is a very good idea. I wanted to do something like a stained glass fresco myself, but I couldn't find the time to do it. I wish I had help from my friends too, just like you.

Instagram